Warrior parents and families, just a couple additional notes/corrections for athletics this summer:
- The free physicals mentioned in the prior update will be at Orthopedics Plus on Nashville Road at 6pm on July 10th.
- The church listed for the volleyball practices was incorrect, the correct location is Bowling Green Christian on Smallhouse Road.
- If you won’t be attending the summer basketball camp but would like a shirt, you must pre-order one. They are $15 each. Follow the link to the order form below.
- We don’t have any specific dates or updates on cheerleading at this time, but we will definitely be doing Wee Warriors again and will look at doing upper level cheer for the winter season if there is sufficient interest.
- Last fall we only had a few students participate in cross country and judging from the end of year surveys I had our students fill out, it appears to be the same this upcoming season. I believe the best opportunity for those students who are interested in running is going to be running for the WKY Trailblazers program, whom we co-op with on numerous other sports and have a strong relationship. The Trailblazers CC team has been well-established and had greater number of runners the past few years, as well as competed for conference championships. The landscape of the conference cross country program is changing as the school that primarily hosted the meets is leaving the conference, but I have spoken to WKY coaches and they are already planning other meets and events. I’ve quoted below the information I’ve been given so far regarding participation in their CC program.
The Trailblazers 2017-2018 season will kick off June 1, 2017 Practices will be at Keriakes Park from 6:30 to about 7:30 on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. Middle and High schoolers will be expected to do some on your own running on the weekend, as assigned.
Our season’s meets are not established yet, but we hope to have that information by mid-July. Because of some league changes, I will not know what the season’s fees will be yet either. In the past, it has been $50 per runner with a uniform fee of $20. You own your top and will need a pair of black or grey shorts to wear with it.
Runners are required to have a wristwatch and water bottle for practices. Good shoes are a must. Ask if you have any questions about shoes before you buy. There are some online and local resources to help you choose an appropriate shoe. You might also want to bring a yoga mat for our core workouts. We adhere to a standard of modesty during practices, so boys and girls may not run shirtless and tanks should not be cut out on the sides to reveal more than usual.
I am looking forward to the season!